Mike Tyson wa born in Brooklyn, New York, on June 30, 1966, Tyson was the youngest person at age 20 to become the heavyweight boxing champion of the world. He lost the title in 1990 and later served three years in prison over rape charges. He subsequently earned further notoriety by biting Evander Holyfield's ear during a rematch in 1997. Tyson has gone on to appear in several films, including a documentary on his life.

In 2002, Tyson fought for the world heavyweight title at the age of 35, but he losing the by knockout to Lennox Lewis. He retired from professional boxing in 2006, after being knocked out in consecutive matches against Danny Williams and Kevin McBride.

Tyson declared bankruptcy in 2003, despite having received over US$30 million for several of his fights and $300 million during his career. Tyson was well known for his ferocious and intimidating boxing style as well as his controversial behavior inside and outside the ring. Tyson is considered one of the best heavyweights of all time. He was ranked No. 16 on The Ring's list of 100 greatest punchers of all time. And also No. 1 in the ESPN.com list of "The hardest hitters in heavyweight history". He has been inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame and the World Boxing Hall of Fame.

On May 25, 2009, Tyson's 4-year-old daughter Exodus was found by her 7-year-old brother Miguel, unconscious and tangled in a cord, dangling from an exercise treadmill. The child's mother untangled her, administered CPR and called for medical attention. Exodus was listed in "extremely critical condition" and was on life support at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. She died of her injuries on May 26, 2009.

Eleven days after his daughter's death, Tyson wed for the third time, to long-time girlfriend Lakiha "Kiki" Spicer, age 32, exchanging vows on Saturday, June 6, 2009, in a short, private ceremony at the La Bella Wedding Chapel at the Las Vegas Hilton. Spicer was a resident of nearby suburban Henderson, Nevada. County marriage records in Las Vegas show the couple got a marriage license 30 minutes before their ceremony. Spicer is the mother of Tyson's daughter Milan and son Morocco. His other children include Mikey (born 1990), Miguel (born 2002) and D'Amato (born 1990). He has a total of eight children including the deceased Exodus.

Tyson has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.[150] While on the American talk show The View in early May 2010, Tyson revealed that he is now forced to live paycheck to paycheck. He went on to say: "I'm totally destitute and broke. But I have an awesome life, I have an awesome wife who cares about me. I'm totally broke. I had a lot of fun. It (losing his money) just happened. I'm very grateful. I don't deserve to have the wife that I have; I don't deserve the kids that I have, but I do, and I'm very grateful."

In March 2011, Tyson appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to discuss his new Animal Planet reality series, Taking on Tyson. In the interview with DeGeneres, Tyson discussed some of the ways he had improved his life in the past two years, including sober living and a vegan diet. However, in August 2013 he admitted publicly that he had lied about his sobriety and was on the verge of death from his alcoholism.

Following his jail sentence Tyson sought to get his life on track and converted to Islam. He visited Mecca on a pilgrimage in 2010. Photo courtesy of emirrile.
 

Mike Tyson has claimed he is on the brink of dying from drink and drug abuse. The ex-heavyweight champion boxer said he is still a “vicious” alcoholic and lied for years that he was sober.

Tyson, 47, said: “I’m a bad guy. I did a lot of bad things and I want to be forgiven. I want to change my life. I want to live my life sober.

“I don’t want to die. I’m on the verge of dying because I’m a vicious alcoholic.”

Tyson said he had not had drink or drugs in six days, and added: “I’ve been lying to everybody else that think I was sober, but I’m not.  “This is my sixth day. I’m never going to use again.”

He has been in rehab three times and in 2012 said he had been sober for three years.

Tyson, speaking in New York, said he thought of killing himself five years ago. But the 2009 death of his daughter Exodus, four, who was strangled by a cord while playing on a treadmill, made him realise he must change.

0 comments:

 
Top